> They government is huge and internal communications are sloppy. It
is not
> unlikely that one branch is giving money while another is hassling
the
> movement. When I was teaching in DC soon after Jonestown, I¹m
quite sure our
> phones were tapped.

Just to put things in perspective (now that you've invoked
Jonestown): my best friend went down to Guyana to teach TM for over
a year in '78-79 and was there when Jonestown happened.  According
to him, the communist dictator running the country and his
government thought the TMers were all CIA agents.

Kooks are quick to assume the CIA are interested enough in them to
start tapping their phones.  We all like to think that what we're
doing is important enough that large, powerful governments are going
to spend money, time and resources to listen in on what we're doing.

It's sad that MMY puts himself in the same category as dictators and
disreputable cult leaders (who all, by the way, inevitably start
blaming the CIA when their cults get bad publicity).