<snip>
> These have always fascinated me because of their size, perfect
> design and complexity. The artist-engineer piece of my mind cannot
> concieve how these large designs can be made so quickly, apparently
> at night, with perfect proportions, by human beings. Astonishing. A
> true mystery.

I just watched this one on YouTube:

http://tinyurl.com/s67q8

They've gotten *way* more elaborate and refined since
the last time I paid any attention to them.  Some of
the ones in this video are unbelievably complex, and
quite stunningly beautiful.

Even if they *are* made by humans--and like Jim, I
have a hard time understanding how that can be the
case (although not from his engineering perspective)--
they're absolutely remarkable, truly a new art form.