--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@>
> wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>
> > > wrote:
> > > <snip>
> cannot
> beings.
> > >
> > > I just watched this one on YouTube:
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/s67q8
> > >
> > > They've gotten *way* more elaborate and refined since
> > > the last time I paid any attention to them.  Some of
> > > the ones in this video are unbelievably complex, and
> > > quite stunningly beautiful.
> > >
> > > Even if they *are* made by humans--and like Jim, I
> > > have a hard time understanding how that can be the
> > > case (although not from his engineering perspective)--
> > > they're absolutely remarkable, truly a new art form.
> >
> > Speaking of new art forms, several years ago
> > I was in an arty French village on the Riviera,
> > and went into the tiny Picasso museum that they
> > have there. It's more of a "He lived here once"
> > museum than anything else, and doesn't have that
> > much original art, but there was a photograph
> > there that just charmed my socks off.
> >
> > The photographer had taken a portrait of the
> > artist but using a long -- several seconds long
> > -- exposure. While the shutter was open, Picasso
> > had created a drawing of a bull in mid air, using
> > a small penlight. The drawing was perfect.
>

> That's actually a famous photograph...I wish I could remember who
> the photographer was...

Art students and even professionals practice drawing circles of all sizes, over
and over
again.  Dozens of circles a day, for thousands of days, trains the muscles and
nervous
system to be pretty good at drawing circles.

> > The following sites, for which I must thank my
> > brother, display the work of young Japanese
> > artists who create this same type of art, but
> > in motion. Using nothing more than a *series*
> > of still photographs created the same way,
> > with a long exposure, they are able to draw
> > *animated* figures in mid air, with using
> > colored flashlights.
> >
> > I really *love* this stuff. Imagine the sense
> > of *space* that the artists have to have to draw
> > not only a single figure in mid air, but to draw
> > a sequence of those figures in mid air, to give
> > the impression of an animal walking, or a bird
> > flying. I also love this stuff because it reminds
> > me of a Japanese form of puppetry called bunraku.
> > In bunraku, the puppets are very complex, often
> > requiring the presence of three puppeteers per
> > character to control them. The puppeteers are
> > onstage at all times, dressed head to toe in
> > black. What makes it an artform is that after
> > about five minutes you no longer see them on
> > the stage. All you see is the puppets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dcmDscwEcI

It works best if you adjust your monitor to be a tad dark before you load the
movie.