(snip)
"I take that back. The mention of chakra appears to be descriptive
rather than prescriptive
> (to use Judy's phrase), and there is much of interest in this
upanishad for those who think
> TM is important rather than thinking that you gotta attend to each
individual leaf (or
> chakra). MMY's advice to follow one's own religion appears to
satsify most of the rest of
> the admonitions found or so it appears to TB moi."

Yes, could be like that...
I have a counselor, whom I've worked with; she concentrates a lot on
this notion of chakras;
She studied with a woman, who can see auras and such.
Her theory is that the soul energy is above the head;
And one of the techniques she uses: is to imagine you are looking
through the top of your head(like a skylight) into the light of your
soul, and allowing this energy to flow down through you, enlivening
each chakra as it goes;
And then 'ground' the energy through your feet, deep into the earth.
In spiritual terms,   'Bringing the energy of Heaven into the earth...

Third eye to me has to do with 'seeing' oneness. Our physical eyes can
only see separateness, and much of what the eyes see, gives power to
the ego; Jesus said, that it would be better to pluck out your
physical eyes if they are leading you into sin(lower vibrations)...
So, 'seeing' through the third eye, has to do with  brain coherence
that meditation produces, plus the enlivening of the nervous system,
the pituitary gland of the brain; an opening of sorts, in which you
have spiritual site, seeing energy, seeing from the soul, auras and
such.
Each chakra has knowledge in and of itself, and on the level of which
it governs...
So, for example, an opening of the heart chakra could provide the
truth of the heart; as the opening of the throat would provide a
powerful and uplifting sound of truth, and likewise, the opening of
the third eye, would provide the seeing of light energy, spiritual
vision.
When full enlightenment occurs, then the soul or the crown chakra is
opened, and the soul energy is allowed to be lived in the body, which
all of the obstructions removed;
  This is: 'Soul Realization';
And all of the benefits of knowing and experiencing you as an infinite
soul, protected and connected to the All. One has left the 'wheel of
karma, so to speak;
The goal is to fully experience the soul, while you are here in a body.
Does TM in itself provide all of this?
Maybe for some it has, maybe for others it hasn't and they needed to
seek more.
I think Maharishi and the movement, wants to keep the teaching pure,
And universal, for the people directly involved;
So, that if whomever decides to leave and seek more elsewhere;
Then the ones still involved can have the benefit of innocence of the
beginner.

R.G.