<snip>
> This entire group of people who have never tried
> any other technique of meditation or self discovery
> but TM, many of whom have been too afraid even to
> *read* about any other technique but TM, and yet
> they consider themselves authoritative about the
> subject of meditation as a whole.

None of whom, of course, are participants on this
forum, given that many of the discussions here are
about other techniques.

<snip>
> He kept people SO "spiritually sheltered"  and
> isolated that they never could become exposed
> to anyone who could tell them, "Hey, I've listened
> to the stuff you talk about, and you never seem to
> get past A, B and C...don't you KNOW that there are
> other letters?"

Note the hidden and unquestioned assumption here
that in a series, such as the alphabet, the full
series is of greater value than its initial
elements by themselves.  That's true, of course,
in the case of the alphabet, but the metaphor
may be seriously flawed when applied to the basis
for techniques of awakening.

As to lack of exposure, some of us have chosen to
expose ourselves, outside the TM context, to a
fairly wide range of what people say about the
other "letters."  On the basis of our own
experiential and intellectual understanding,
we have concluded that D, E, F, etc., not only
do not add anything to A, B, and C, but actually
detract from the understanding (experiential as
well as intellectual) of the fundamental nature
and mechanics of consciousness.

We think these additional letters represent a
failure to grasp the significance and ramifications
of A, B, and C and thus don't represent "progress"
at all, they represent a *less* complete and, in
some cases, downright incorrect understanding.

A more appropriate metaphor might be the series
that begins with elementary particles and ends
with apparently solid objects.  If knowledge of
solid objects is not grounded in knowledge of
elementary particles, it's not only incomplete,
it's wrong, since the solidity of these objects
is only apparent, not real.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: