TurquoiseB wrote:

>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>sparaig wrote:

>>>From what I've seen of how people describe other purportedly
>>>simple and easy meditation techniques, very few are actually
>>>simple and easy.
>>>

>>All that says is you haven't seen very much.  Hence my term
>>"spirituality sheltered."
>>

>It really IS pretty amazing, isn't it?
>
>This entire group of people who have never tried
>any other technique of meditation or self discovery
>but TM, many of whom have been too afraid even to
>*read* about any other technique but TM, and yet
>they consider themselves authoritative about the
>subject of meditation as a whole.
>
>It's one of the things that keeps me fascinated
>by TMers, after all this time. I mean, you've
>been around the spiritual block a bit, right?
>Have you *ever* encountered any other group that
>knows as little as your standard TMer or TM
>teacher and yet believes that they know so much?

I've always kept company with people from other organizations.  Some
were folks who had learned TM and looking for more and not finding it
found it in other organizations.  I learned a lot from them.  Before
learning TM I was trying other techniques.  I can also say like those
others I found myself wanting more but not finding in TM and moved on.

>I keep coming back to the teaching analogy that
>Maharishi used to use, in my opinion ironically.
>He used to speak about the kid who goes to his
>first day of school and learns A, B and C and
>then comes back and teaches his siblings A, B
>and C, because that's all he knows.
>
>As far as I can tell, the entire range of know-
>ledge I ever read or was exposed to in the TM
>movement was just that -- A, B and C. Since
>leaving the TM movement and spending almost 30
>years doing a lot of reading in other traditions,
>and studying directly with teachers who cover
>the subjects that can't be written down, I've
>probably encountered only seven or eight more
>"letters of the alphabet." In this lifetime I'll
>never learn even a *fraction* of the knowledge
>that is out there.

My guru emphasizes this all the time that even what he knows is only a
tiny part of the knowledge and it is impossible to know it all.

>But at the same time I've come to realize that
>(in my opinion) Maharishi himself was always
>seriously light in the loafers in terms of how
>much *he* knew. I honestly think that *he* was
>aware of only A, B and C, and knew little or
>nothing about the other "spiritual letters of
>the alphabet," the other 90% of the body of
>spiritual knowledge.

If we had a dime for every junior Hindu priest in India that knows a
little or enough to teach a meditation course we'd be rich! :)  They are
all over the place there but most just stick close to their temples to
seek enlightenment for themselves and serve their community.

>His genius, if it could be called that, was to
>convince stupid Westerners that he knew more than
>he did, and to keep repeating endless variations
>of A, B and C for forty years. Doing this, he
>*not only* convinced most of the people listening
>that they were hearing the entire "alphabet" of
>spiritual knowledge, but *also* convinced them
>that *they* knew more than seekers from any other
>tradition. He kept people SO "spiritually sheltered"
>and isolated that they never could become exposed
>to anyone who could tell them, "Hey, I've listened
>to the stuff you talk about, and you never seem to
>get past A, B and C...don't you KNOW that there are
>other letters?" He created an environment in which
>fear of drifting "off the program" was so strong
>that most of his followers don't even have any
>*curiosity* about learning more; they're that
>convinced that they already know everything that
>is worth learning.

I've found that people from other organizations tend to treat TM folks
respectfully from a distance knowing they have this 'tude.  :)

>It's a truly amazing accomplishment, in a strange
>sort of way...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: