--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "geezerfreak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Posted a few years ago but worth reading again.
>
> Excerpt from The Guru Papers:
>
> Most cults follow a predictable progression of two distinct stages,
> which indicates that what is involved is more a function of how
> authoritarian structures work than of the particular teachings of a
> given guru.
>
> This first stage is messianic with the message being that all labors
> of the organization, including the guru's, are aimed at a higher
> purpose beyond the group, such as saving mankind.
>
> . . .
>
> A time inevitably comes when the popularity and power of the group
> plateaus and then begins to wane. Eventually it becomes obvious that
> the guru is not going to take over the world, at least not in the
> immediate future. When the realization comes that humanity is too
> stupid or blind to acknowledge that higher authority and wisdom
> of the guru, the apocalyptic phase enters and the party is over...

Indeed. *Well* worth reading again.

What *IS* this tendency in human beings that seems
to cause their spiritual and religious movements
first to expand and focus on selfless service, and
then later to contract and focus instead on self
importance?

If we ever figured that out, we might be able to
create an alternative to this sad trend.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: