--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2006, at 12:26 PM, Rick Archer wrote:
>
> > College kids these days aren't spiritual seeks, by and large. They're
> > on a career track and not many are going to rush off to spend 8 hours
> > a day meditating.
>
> That's a silly and unfounded over-generalization, Rick, and New's
> right...you could easily have said that about us, or about anyone at
> any time.
>
> Maybe the reason nobody's rushing to this course is because it sounds
> boring and not terribly healthy to sit on your ass for 8 hours a day
> (not to mention it might also be because the TMO has a rep for being
> manipulative and dishonest.)  If hardly anyone our age wants to
> participate, it should come as no surprise that people younger and more
> active would be turned off.
>
> Sal

I think Rick is correct.  If you go to any of the saints (incuding the Dalia
Lama) touring the
USA, the average hair color is gray. I think AMma has more young people than
most. Back
in the 60's and 70's, the average attendee was 18-25yrs old.  Yoga classes are
by and
large populated by middle aged women.  The current younger generation in
college now is
not only career minded- but also service minded, as in volunteering and "doing
good
deeds."  Much more so than the Boomers, who wanted to do good by meditating,
getting
doped up, refusing to go to war. I don't know what it would take to tip the
balance for the
younger kids, but so far they are more interested in cation/karma and not
interested in
spirituality/meditation- at least not in large numbers.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: