--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "geezerfreak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Oh it does, your highness. I've even changed my mantra
> to cuntanada.
> The bliss is overflowing! Tomorrow I'll change it to
> Sri Sri Cuntanada Namah Namah!
> Unity is mine at last!!!!!!

Now you've done it, and given away the secret of
how to create TM "advanced technique" mantras.  :-)

Following up on the general theme of cults ( and
hopefully not the personal spat...remember what
I said only a couple of days ago about a certain
someone having to have an 'enemy' at all times,
and who the most likely candidates for that
enemyship might be? :-), one of the traits I've
noticed about cults that I haven't ever seen in
the books that discuss them is that they promote
*attachment to a fixed notion of the self*.

Just look at the way the cultists react when one
suggests that the group they belong to is a cult.
They act as if they personally have been *attacked*.

Isn't that odd, when you think about it? They
*haven't* been attacked. All that's happened is
that someone has introduced a different point of
view about the group that they belong to, a point
of view that is different than theirs. But they
react as if you'd slapped them in the face. Go
figure.

It's the SAME reaction you see when you're inter-
facing with one of these people directly and
introduce a different way of seeing THEM. They
react as if they've been attacked, as if they've
been slapped. Then they follow up by claiming
that the person who has referred to them from a
different point of view than the way they see
themselves as liars, or ill-intentioned people
doing some kind of "hit" on them.

It's as if in their minds there can be only ONE
valid way of looking at or describing their selves,
the way that they themselves look at themselves.
Anything else is by definition NOT TRUTH, and
therefore must be some kind of attack. Such
individuals are serious ATTACHED to their
definitions of self.

Well, take that mindset and now extrapolate it
to how they feel about the group that *taught*
them these narrow definitions of self. They react
*exactly* the same way -- any criticism is perceived
as an attack, any critic an attacker.

Cult, schmult. I think the larger issue is attach-
ment to the self.

In my experience across a wide range of spiritual
practice, the only seekers who get that attached
to one tiny definition of self are those who have
not transcended the self regularly enough, or
clearly enough, to understand that they have no
fixed self. If they had, they wouldn't be *able*
to get uptight when someone suggests a different
way of looking at their selves, or those selves'
behavior. They'd say, "Oh, that's interesting.
There may be some truth in that. There is *also*
truth in the way I've been seeing myself and
prefer to see myself, but there is some truth in
this new way of seeing myself as well. How inter-
esting."

But the cultist never reacts this way. To the
cultist, any suggestion that they are not *exactly*
the way they perceive themselves is an attack.
Any suggestion that the group that has *taught*
them to perceive themselves that way is not
exactly what it perceives itself to be is an
attack. Such people are always under attack
because they believe they actually have something
to *defend*.

Those who have easily allowed self to slip away,
over and over and over and over for years, tend
not to react that way. They're not particularly
attached to one way of looking at their selves,
because they know that those selves don't even
exist.

One of the quotes I've been trying to remember
lately when I encounter someone who is heavily
attached to one particular way of seeing their
self is, "Argue for your limitations, and sure
enough, they're yours." It's just so SAD that
some people spend so much energy "defending"
something that doesn't even exist, their own
fantasy about who they are. There is so much
joy they're missing out on in life if they
just focused on the reality of that life instead
of the fantasy they've developed of their self.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: