> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <no_reply@>

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings
<no_reply@>

Mahesh's
> > destiny

> > > In case you hadn't noticed, the man believes that the British
> > deliberately rewrote parts of the
> > > vedic literature over a 150 year period in order to destroy
> > Hinduism...>>>
> >
> > He may actually be right about that. There was one Victorian
British
> > officer in India that deliberately mistranslated some vedic
> > literature for the purpose of specifically advancing the
christian
> > superiority complex over the hindu, and attempting to
deliberately
> > denegrate hinduism. This officer (I forgot his name) is recorded
in
> > letters and official documents that that was his specific aim
and he
> > was proud of his actions, and no-one questioned his actions at
the
> > time..
> >
> > OffWorld
> >

> His tenure lasted 150 years?>>

No, but the influence of this and other European arrogancies did.

Not long after the time of the British governer's (whatever title
given) attempt to re-write some vedic writings to deliberately,
systematically, and proudly, subordinate it to christianity....Max
Muller, the hugely German scholar, for decades largely demened and
incorrectly downgraded the Vedic culture's presence and stature in
the region. So much so that to this day there is still an old school
of respected scholars who still believe that the vast epics of the
Vedas and Vedic tradition were largely the campfire stories of some
wandering Afghan peasant sheepherders and their marauding heirs.
However, the MAJORITY of modern scholarly thought is now realising
that the Vedas were in India long before any Afghan migration. But
Max Muller (along with other British repressions and other European
short-sightedness) was a HUGE figure in Vedic scholarly field (even
among westernised Indian scholars) and only very recently is being
toppled from his god-like status towards  a less pompous and humbled
view of the vedic culture on the part of western scholars.
 (I really wanted to study this whole thing as a PHD, and travel to
India to delve deeper into it, and write a book, but I don't suppose
I ever will now)
QUOTE:
""Max Muller represented the bes, and at times the worst, of
nineteenth-century intellectual life. His work in the origins and
growth of language, mythology, and reliĀ­gion, typified Victorian
armchair scholarship: bold, adventurous, pioneering, someĀ­times
triumphalistic, but always convinced of its social and cultural
superiority. To be sure, there is much to admire, much to despise,
and much to be embarrassed by, in the antiquated scholarship of the
Victorian era as a whole. But as a pivotal period in the history of
human ideas, the historical and intellectual import of its scholarly
literature should not be ignored by historians or summarily
dismissed by present-day researchers as utterly worthless. Rather,
it should be read and understood within its own social and cultural
context. In the case of the voluminous and, at the time, influential
writings of Friedrich Max Muller, this observation proves no less
true. ""
http://www.wordtrade.com/society/mullermax.htm

(If you have a one-liner, poorly thought out answer for your
response sparaig, you will be called "spare egghead" for 3 days by
me)

OffWorld

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional