TorquiseB writes: Snipped
When you come into contact with the teacher's aura, the
part of you that *already* has access to these different
states of mind *recognizes* them in the teacher's aura.
Seeing these states of mind in another "wakes up" the
same states of mind in the seeker. It's as if the seeker
had forgotten that such levels of being awake were
available to him, but now that he's run into them,
living and breathing and laughing in front of him in
the form of the teacher, he realizes that the *same*
states of mind are within him, and available if he
just chooses to access them.

This is how I honestly think it works. I no longer
believe in the "darshan" theory of empowerment. I think
that that view, that the teacher "does" something to
"cause" the awakening in the student, is completely
understandable. That's how it *feels*, after all. You
see the teacher and you get high. Therefore they must
have "done something" to you.

Why I prefer my "recognition theory" is because it puts
the responsibility and the impetus for self realization
where it belongs, in the lap of the *seeker*, not the
teacher. It *allows* for there being a benefit in seeing
saints and realized masters, but not in the sense that
one goes to them hoping that they'll zap you somehow
with woo-woo rays and provide a "hit" of enlightenment.
If one operates under the assumption that the "recog-
nition theory" adequately describes the mechanics of
what happens when you sit satsang with or otherwise
interact with a powerful teacher, you are less likely
to fall into the cult ruts, projecting onto the teacher
magical abilities to zap you into enlightenment. Or
their negative counterpart, projecting onto them some
ability to hypnotize large groups of people at will.

Tom T:
According to a friend who has a phd in cognitive learning the above
has some validity. Those who have been on the path for some time and
have done long times in meditation sooner or later bump up against the
NOTHINGESS. Many just get scared and boogy others hang in and try to
avoid the nothingness but kind of dance around it. If they hang in or
through some other coaccident they eventually cognize this as the
everything that IS. According to my friend, humans are put together so
that they can only recognize something they have previously known
before. Well nothingness is something most of us were not prepared
for. Those who hang in sometimes just get it out of pure stubborness.
Others get it from a teacher who is a living embodiment of the
everythingess. Eventualy one can sometimes see that your experience is
your understanding if you are willing to to just be OK with the
nothingness. One time I heard Gangaji say, on a video, just be willing
to be Nothing. That little mahavakya stuck in a loop that just kept
going round and round for a day. All of a sudden I realized I didn't
have to be willing to be nothing, I was nothing. Cool. Tom T

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: