--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
Bob

> > > This is the point that it amazes me that several
> > > people here have missed, in their "one-pointedness."
> > > This quote was made by the *TM* folks, not by the
> > > critics. *They* are claiming that the resistance
> > > to the grant came from a "religious minority,"
> > > when in fact it seemed to come primarily from
> > > former TMers.
> > >

> > The most religious minority possible: fanatical exers...
>

> My guess is that the threat of a lawsuit by the fundies had more of
an
> impact on killing the TM club than the vocal ex-TMers.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yhxzza
>
> Sharing the chagrin of some Terra Linda parents over the TM club was
> the Pacific Justice Institute, a nonprofit legal group that often
> advocates for religion to play a greater role in public life. In
this
> case, though, the group threatened to sue the high school over
> church-state boundaries.
>
> "If it's religious in nature and it involves faculty, then you would
> have a problem," said Kevin Snider, chief counsel for the institute.

**************

http://www.adl.org/religion_ps_2004/facilities.asp

"May a teacher serve as an instructor in a religious club that meets
at the school where the teacher works? In Wigg v. Sioux Falls School
District, 70 the U. S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
recently found that an elementary school teacher could participate in
a religious club meeting where she teaches. However, the decision is
inconsistent with the U. S. Supreme Court's decision in Good News
Club v. Milford Central School because it omitted discussion of the
Supreme Court's finding that no perceived endorsement of religion
occurred by allowing a religious club on campus because "...
instructors [were] not school teachers." 71 Until the U. S. Supreme
Court definitively answers this question, ADL strongly recommends
that teachers not participate in religious clubs meeting in schools
where they work."

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: