On Nov 28, 2006, at 10:49 PM, sparaig wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Er, yeah. So what is the physiological correlate of all of this?

>>> As I have pointed out many times, there ARE TM studies on this
>>> phenomenon. It isn't a
>>> long in and out breath thing though, it is a sustained out-breath
>>> where the diaphram
>>> apparently relaxes to its normal position. Respiration continues,
>>> however, apparently due
>>> to air circulating because the heart is compressing/decompressing
>>> the sides of the lungs.
>>>

>> That's because it's so brief. This phenomenon is well known to yogis,
>> but is just an good sign you're getting ready for the fourth.
>>
>> It should absolutely not be confused with the fourth pranayama--even
>> if someone tries to sell it to you as such (which it appears someone
>> has!).
>>
>> These minor apneas should be of little interest to serious
>> scientists.
>>

> So where is the research on the fourth done by "serious scientists?'

Some old research and more modern research on tummo (inner heat)
meditation which mastery of requires inner perfection of the fourth
pranayama.  This is why modern research on these yogis shows they are
able to lower their metabolic rates many times more than simple
meditation (e.g. TM). As we'd discussed this before, I guess I
assumed you remembered--or more likely, conveniently forgot.