On Nov 29, 2006, at 2:09 PM, sparaig wrote:

[...]

So where is the research on the fourth done by "serious scientists?'

Some old research and more modern research on tummo (inner heat)
meditation which mastery of requires inner perfection of the fourth
pranayama.  This is why modern research on these yogis shows they are
able to lower their metabolic rates many times more than simple
meditation (e.g. TM). As we'd discussed this before, I guess I
assumed you remembered--or more likely, conveniently forgot.

Actually, that research has NEVER been replicated under laboratory conditions. And it doesn't say squat about their state of consciousness, per se. Samadhi is a state of consciousness, not
some ability developed over decades of practice.

LOL, Veteran meditation researcher Herbert Benson would disagree as he was the one who demonstrated there were much, much deeper metabolic changes than TM. TM was only 2% different than sleeping. It'll be interesting to see this repeated; but the really interesting thing is learning these practices ourselves--whether Hindu or Buddhist or whatever. The proof is in the pudding, not the research about the pudding!

You read the research, I'll eat the pudding.