> > My point is simply: you have no idea why people didn't get to
> > enlightenment in 5-7 years.
>
> Absolutely true. But neither does Maharishi. But I'd
> be willing to say, based on my experience and that of
> hundreds of other seekers I've met and interacted with
> over the years, that "stress" has nothing to do with it.
> Conditioning, yes. Stress, no.

Actually, stress is the ONLY thing that prevents enlightenment. Stress is
defined by Hans
Selye as a "stereotypical response of the nervous system." In other words,
rather than
dealing with the situation, the nervous system punts and works on (generally)
inappropriate instinct, aka "fight or flight."

MMY's insight, that Hans Selye's term was a very good approximation of the
sanskrit term
"samskara," leads to misunderstands, but it IS probably the best single word in
English to
describe samskara.

> > For some reason. MMY probably DID expect people to get
> > enlightened faster than they did.
>
> I agree.
>
> > This makes his time-line mistaken...
>
> Either that or it makes him guilty of expressing his
> hopes -- founded on nothing -- not only as fact, but
> as ad copy.

As I said, I was having signs of CC within weeks and months of learning TM.
Fred Travis'
most recent studies on meditation say that the EEG changes that TM evokes level
out
within a few months, which suggests that  its just a matter of practice:
alternating the gold
dye with exposure to sunlight, in order to colorfast the cloth. That Westerners
are
ludicrously stressed and live ever-more-stressful lives may have escaped him at
first. I
mean, he was dealing with Ozzie and Harriet Nelson ( people like the Olsen
Family) when
he first arrived here, and they are hardly a typical American family 50 years,
or even 20
years later. The Olsen daughter who learned TM when she was 10 still holds the
world
record for longest and most consistent episodes of samadhi during TM, at least
as
measured by episodes of breath suspension (periods of up to 72 seconds for
about 60% of
her meditation period, total).

There's no reason to assume that he wasn't extrapolating from experience.