Just to finish this up...

> > > Point is, Barry, back then you were arguing
> > > *against* the idea that there was nothing one
> > > could do to become enlightened, and mocking it.
> > > Now you're arguing *for* it, and mocking the
> > > opposite idea.
> > >
> > > I don't care what you want to call it.  I'm
> > > just pointing out that your perspective has
> > > changed rather drastically.
> >
> > No, actually, it hasn't. There is a *great*
> > deal one can do to facilitate the realization
> > of enlightenment. And to block its realization.
> > It's just that neither is the final determining
> > factor, just a factor.
>
> If there are other factors involved than what you
> yourself can do, then realization is not "available
> at any time," which is what you've been claiming.

WHY? It seems to me that you are saying, "I cannot
conceive of a universe in which some things are out
of my control in which realization is not available
to me at any time." Right?

Well, I *can* conceive of it. I do not share your
conceptual limitation.

Realization is available at all times. Sometimes via
the mechanism of control, and sometimes through
other mechanisms.

> > Get it now?

> > > You mean, the course of action is unfathomable,
> > > just as Krishna tells Arjuna in the Gita?
> > >
> > > I wouldn't call it "randomness," though, given
> > > what you say above about a "consensus result of
> > > the entire "set" of causes/actions."  That sure
> > > ain't randomness.
> >
> > Yes it is. The composition of the "set" is random,
> > at every moment.
>
> Not if cause and effect is involved, it isn't.
> Not if "consensus" is involved, it isn't.
> Not if that consensus is a *result*, it isn't.

WHY? Again, it seems to me that you are saying, "I cannot
conceive of these three things being supported by a
completely random universe."

Fine. I can. No problemo. All three can (and, as far
as I can tell, do) gleefully coexist with randomness.

> > > And I can see how it might comfort you to think
> > > you're in total control.
> >
> > I *am* in total control of the things I do to
> > facilitate my realization of enlightenment. But
> > I am not silly enough to believe that's all there
> > is to it -- "Do X and Y will appear." There are
> > other factors that are not in my control
>
> Again, if that's the case, then realization is not
> "available at any time."

Ah, but it is available at any time.

AND there are factors that are not in your control. :-)

You cannot juggle these two concepts simultaneously.
I can. End of story.

> Sometimes it is *not*
> available, if there are other factors involved over
> which you do not have control.

No, it is completely available during *all* of
those periods when factors exist over which you
have no control.  :-)