--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yoga-suutra mentions several stages of samaadhi.
> > > The main distinction seems to be sabiija- vs.
> > > nirbiija-samaadhi. The highest stage is, I guess,
> > > dharma-megha-samaadhi.
> > > I wonder what stage "typically"(?) is the one mentioned
> > > in Vibhuuti-paada (third book). It's hardly nirbiija,
> > > because of "artha-maatra-nirbhaasam". Or, then again,
> > > I don't understand anything about the stages of
> > > samaadhi, LOL.
> >
> > http://web.mac.com/lawsonenglish/iWeb/Site/Meditation%20EEG.html
> >
> > The highest stage might corresdpond to the periods of
> > universal EEG coherence where the vertical lines are drawn...
> >
> > Compare samadhi with turiya in Mandukya Upanishad.
>
> Interesting, the postcontrol breathing seems like more
> rapid than the precontrol. Huccome?

Just as fodder for discussion, if anyone's on that
wavelength, it seems to me that the Vedic/Hindu
approach to these different types of samadhi
interprets them as "stages" because they're stuck
in a hierarchical mindset. Because they bring a
hierarchical set of assumptions to the table, they
see these different types of samadhi experience as
existing within a linear structure of experiences
that has a "top" and a "bottom," a structure in
which the experiences at the "top" are "better"
than those further "down," which are perceived to
be "less better."

This is not the only way to view samadhi exper-
iences. I've heard talks from several different
teachers who share my more relational view of
the structure of creation, and they don't see it
that way at all. For them there is NO "highest
state of consciousness." Such a concept simply
doesn't exist for them. There is only the state
of consciousness that is going on at the time.
If that is "stage one samadhi," cool; if it is
"stage ten samadhi," that's cool, too. If it's
normal, vanilla waking state, that's OK, too.

They assume (and I do, too, because it jibes
with my personal experiences) that there IS no
linear sequence of evolution from "lowest" to
"highest." No state of consciousness -- even
the states of consciousness one associates with
"ignorance" -- is either "better" or "worse"
than another. They are just what's going on at
the time, the level of self-realization you are
comfortable with at the time, that's all.

They also assume that states of consciousness
will continue to change and fluctuate, even
after enlightenment is stable. One day you'll
be experiencing "stage one samadhi," and next
something else. Your state of consciousness will
continue to fluctuate as long as you have a
body, because that is the nature of having a
body. And that's OK. They view the idea that one
could "achieve" a certain state of consciousness
and consider it the "end point" and then *stay*
there with a great deal of amusement. They laugh
until their sides ache, as if someone has just
told them the funniest joke they've ever heard.