--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Can't comment on that. I'm a Buddhist who doesn't
> > even believe that God exists.  :-)
>
> Really? If Buddha-->Buddhism-->Buddhist exists, how can God not
> exist? I'd like to hear your definition of Buddha.

Just a normal, everyday guy, who realized what it
really is to be a normal, everyday guy. Buddha
would have laughed himself silly at the notion
that he was anything else.

What I don't believe in is God as a being with
sentience of his/her/its own or the universe
having a will or design/direction of its own.
I have no problem with the concept of the Absolute,
merely with it having a will or sentience other
than that made up of the combination of all the
will and sentience of its separate "parts."

> > > In other words, there were things I wanted to achieve for myself
> > > that were unobtainable at the lesser state of consciousness...
> >
> > I would say instead that you *assumed* they were not
> > available to you. Therefore they weren't.
>
> Hang on-- Broadening the discussion beyond human form, would you
> also say that a chimpanzee doesn't speak English because of some
> self-imposed limitation? Where do you draw the line between self-
> imposed limitations and physiologically based limitations?

I limit myself in these discussions to discussing humans.
They have no limitations as far as I am concerned except
those that they impose upon themselves.  :-)

In other words, I do not believe in the "stress keeps us
from realizing enlightenment" theory. Not for a minute.