> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wgm4u" <wgm4u@> wrote:
> >
> > Maharishi and Guru Dev are/were apparently
> > enlightened, right?
>
> Why do you assume this?
>
> I'm not trying to be argumentative, just to
> bring up an assumption so common in the TM
> movement that it is rarely challenged. Nor
> does anyone give any thought to where the
> assumption *came from*. It's just assumed as
> a given and filed away in a box and every-
> thing else one chooses to believe about TM
> and its teachings is built on top of it.
>
> The fascinating thing is that I have met
> many people like myself who, in my case
> during 14 years in the TMO, *never once*
> heard Maharishi say that he was enlightened.
> Not once. And yet many of those *same* people
> assume he is anyway. Their *belief* or *hope*
> that he is enlightened is more important to
> them than what they've actually heard him say.
> Go figure.
>
> A similar puzzling phenomenon is seen in a
> situation that has come up again recently,
> whether TM is truly effortless. Faced with
> a quote from Maharishi himself saying that
> there is some subtle effort involved with
> TM, many people cling *desperately* to the
> "TM is completely effortless" dogma they
> were taught, claiming that the quote is
> inaccurate, that other people are "misin-
> terpreting" it, whatever...*anything* but
> challenge one of their longest-held assump-
> tions. Again, go figure.

I used the word 'apparently', right, with a question mark, I agree
with you, whether MMY is enlightened is NOT a foregone conclusion,
Guru Dev though may be.....

And you are also right, there is a so called 'effortless effort'
involved in TM, but we do 'come back to the mantra', so it's not
exactly aimless.