--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The question is when on our journey do we confront the 'dweller on
> the threshold'?

As soon as you start exercising/applying your spiritual will power,
which is achieved thru regular meditation, but you must exercise it!

>Where is the starting point from which to measure
> our First Step in spiritual progress?

Peace and a pure conscience.

> The draw of the senses can be understood conceptually and felt
> generally long before the Self is realized, though attempts to
> channel our energies upwards at that point will be fruitless because
> we cannot act with precision.

If you wait, you ignore the image of God within yourself which
entitles/enables you to command your fate, bend your will to God's
will.  That is spiritual will power.

 Without Self realization, there is not
> a clear view of the senses acting upon the mind, and no way to
> determine a starting point; no foundation from which to begin our
> spiritual progress.

The foundation is Yama and Niyama as stated by Patanjali, Meditation
and moral activity go hand in hand!  MMY doens't mention this much
because he is teaching TM as a simple mental technique and not as a
Religion.

> Only after Self realization, with the senses and the mind both
> isolated clearly as elements outside the Self, does the activity
> resulting from wisdom begin to naturally move our life force upwards.

Self Realization is the result of the life force (kundalini) moving
upwards.