> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:

> > > India, that's where. Sometimes the sheer
> > > backasswards idiocy of India just blows
> > > my mind.\
> >
> > Although I agree with your point, I saw the tape and Gere
> > was being a total dick. With his exposure to Indian culture,
> > he has no excuse for bringing this on himself and to the
> > chick he was mashing on.
>
> Haven't seen any video. But what is he supposed
> to do, pander to a hypocritical culture that
> doesn't allow kissing in public but that has one
> of the fastest-growing AIDS rates on the planet
> because of uncontrolled prostitution?

Sure, why not?

There's no reason a person can't "pander to" (i.e.,
respect) cultural norms in one context while working
to counter them and their negative effects in
another, especially when not doing the former may
arouse resistance to one's efforts toward the latter.

"The perfect is the enemy of the good."