> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>

> > > That occured to me when writing it up. The exact
> > > *same* story can be pointed to by God freaks
> >
> > Where did that term come from? Is that the opposite of atheist
> > freaks?
>
> Yes, and it's totally innocuous. It's a lingering
> Sixties-ism in my speech. So far on FFL I have used
> the term dozens of times, in contexts such as
> "enlightenment freak" and "Bruce Cockburn freak" or
> "music freak" (both referring to myself), or "neat
> freak," or "Mongo freak" (referring to fans of a
> certain short fictional detective). It's a slang
> way of referring to the odd things that some people
> get off on. It has no negative connotations, except,
> seemingly, in your mind.
>
> > And what's a God freak anyway? I think the term "freak" is
> > possibly reserved for those pushing an agenda, as it appears
> > you are doing now, my dear Buddhist atheist.
>
> Jim, since you stopped actively slamming me, I've
> taken a chance and replied to a few of your posts
> as if you were an adult, and as if you were actually
> a rational human being. My mistake. Back in the
> trashbin you go.

I meant no disrespect to you when I used the terms Buddhist and
atheist. Isn't a person who doesn't beileve in God an atheist and
aren't you a Buddhist? What you perceived as my anger or rigidity
was merely intensity. I read back what I had written and I *got* the
intensity, but no anger. And the intensity was merely a reflection
of my daily circumstance, not directed at you or FFL.

On the other hand, I am trying to be more careful with my writing.
Sometimes when I am writing, I will look back at what I have written
and realize it didn't convey what I had intended. Case in point was
my response to Rory's comment about our taking our subtitles of the
life movie as gospel. As many things he writes do, it tickled me and
I responded that it was a great joke. Later I realized that could've
been miscontrued as me not taking what he said seriously. Writing is
a skill that is a challenge for me  because it must be self-
contained and linear. Give me a good canvas any day, literally.

Now, as to your response that 'freak' is reserved for the odd things
that people get off on, would you or have you referred to yourself
as a 'Tantric freak' or an 'atheist freak' or a 'Buddhism freak'?
The reason I ask is that perhaps the term is not as innocuous as you
think it is. Maybe, and maybe not. I personally don't know, and that
is why I am asking you. And I am also curious why you see atheist as
a negative term? I consider those who choose to not recognize God as
atheists. What is the issue there?