"Is Consciousness the Unified Field?" - if consciousness is truly
most fundamental, there IS a need to relate it to the most
fundamental laws of physics, because presently it is being ignored
altogether. As for the limits and incomprehensibility of Hagelin's
metaphors or equivalences, surely the same could be said of the
Vedas - in spite of countless commentaries it remains a rather
obscure philosophy/manual of consciousness. In the end nothing
but "realization" itself will do..

But I think you are both being too harsh on Hagelin.. He is making
valiant efforts to interpret those equations in novel ways, as
windows to the properties of the unified field. Like us looking at
the behaviour of someone and figuring out underlying propensities?
The discussion on the equations reflecting the non-duality of unity I
thought ADDED to my understanding of nonduality I had  come across
previously from similar statements made by individuals or in
scriptures.