I'm a fan too.  I'm glad they are going to extend it, I thought this
was going to be the end of the show.  From the last show it almost
looks like a typical Hollywood glorification of people who believe
things without evidence.  John Lock is a big one for making assertions
that he tries to sell by the force of his will.  There was no reason
for Jack not to make the call to the boat but both John and Ben tried
to stop him giving no reasons or evidence.  Now that his life is in
shambles it looks like the "believers" were right!  Thanks Hollywood,
we should all just believe shit because someone enthusiastically
asserts it.  I agree with your analysis of Ben as a leader gone bad.
The fact that John has heard Jacob's voice takes us out of the idea
that Ben is just mad.  There is some supernatural shit happening on
this island for sure.  I am digging it.  Sorry to see the rocker boy
die but that may free up Claire for us.  Race ya down the beach to her
lean-to!