I've copywritten many a piece, and it saved my ass bigtime in one
instance when material of mine was wholly ripped off and used on a Web
site -- for profit -- $54,000's worth as it turned out.

Because I had a copyright, the thief incurred a risk of much larger
penalties than he would have faced otherwise -- civil law allows for
multiples of the profits as a proscribed penalty.  That big penalty,
once he finally grasped what risk he faced, forced him to reconsider
his position in a three year long lawsuit, and he's now asking for an
out of court settlement.  Without that copyright "clout," my civil
suit against the guy would have much less of a penalty being possibly
exacted against him, and he would have held out much longer before
coming to the settlement table.

Because of this experience, I'm grateful for the copyright laws.

That said:  here's a suggestion to all artists:  give it all away for
free until you have a following. If you can't get a following, then
you don't have what the market wants, so keep your day job.

If you do get a following, have those folks sign up to an opt-in list
that gets them the privilege of being the first to get your fresh new
stuff for a price.  Yes, they can then give your new stuff away after
purchase, but they will want your stuff fresh-as-possible, so much
that, if they have the bucks, they'll buy it when it comes hot off the
griddle just to get their fix.  Those that can wait, will get your
stuff from the buyers down the line when those buyers post your stuff
on the Web.

See?  If one really has chops, there will be a paying audience who
want that next blast from you NOW.  And this can be done direct -- P2P
-- with no agents or broadcasters or media vampires involved.  The
artist sells to his core audience, and the rest of the world gets it
for free -- which is advertising for the next roll out of stuff.
Providing your stuff for free in a degraded form (smaller file size)
will give everyone a taste, and invite them to purchase the "full
pleasure."  E.g., Put your stuff on youtube.com and cuz it's so crappy
a display, folks will pay for the bigger files with the visual and
audio details that youtube.com crunches out of existence.  The opt-in
list will grow.

Yes, this means an artist must continually put out more, but that's
what any artist would do for funzies if he/she is a true artist, right?

Then, if one really has a following, a concert will be sold out, a
gallery's display will be well visited, etc.

Now, I do have a problem with the heirs of material.  John Wayne's
family is still making healthy buckzoids from licensing his image, and
I cannot find myself wanting that to stop -- I have kids that I want
to leave my creations to, ya see?  So, the Duke's family have a
legitimate gripe if someone is diluting the value of his image by
over-use which will decrease how much is paid by a commercial interest
in the material.  I think that if anyone makes more than a few bucks
off my stuff, they should pay a royalty at least.  Maybe as a
compromise, we could allow general use of all material, but if money
is being made, then the copyright laws click in.  If people get tired
of seeing John Wayne in youtube vids, then so be it.  John Wayne's
family needs to make hay while the sun shines.

On the other hand, I don't create anything, and I'm thieving from God,
so who am I to try to control how the stuff that flows through me is
used by God in the "other" nervous systems out there?  Can't justify
it on my good days, but when I finally get that lawsuit cleared up,
I'll be sure to cash the check instead of, you know, giving to one of
"God's charities."

Sigh....I don't have clarity about all this.

Edg