> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>
> wrote:
<snip>
> > I just saw a segment on TV about how popular bands are now doing
> all
> > of their marketing, publishing and distribution by themselves
> > because of the obvious economic benefit. The show featured a
band,
> > Wilco, who said that instead of a record company contract that
> would
> > pay them $1 per CD, by outsourcing these functions and managing
> them
> > themselves, they were now realizing $6 per CD. That's a big
> > difference. :-)
> >

> ...and I don't understand why book authors aren't doing the same
> things as bands and self-publishing.
>
> A typical book at Barnes and Noble -- or online for that matter --
> runs $19.95.  Like the per CD residual paid to musicians as shown
> above, authors get about $1.00 per book sold.
>
> But if authors self-publish, they can do it EVEN IN SMALL
> QUANTITIES for about $1.25 per book (soft cover, of course).
> Sure, they'd have to market it themselves but they'd be getting
> about 15-20 times more profit per book than if they did it
> through a publishing house.
>
> Why aren't more doing it?

Marketing and distribution are both very difficult
for self-published books. Many of the publications
that still do book reviews won't consider self-
published books (the "vanity press" stigma is still
a factor). Plus which, it's a *huge* job to self-
publish a book and do it right (as opposed to
trusting a company like iUniverse), as well as a
very substantial financial investment. And doing
the marketing yourself is just about a full-time
job.

Despite the obstacles, however, self-publishing
is very much on the rise. If you can make it
work, the rewards are great.