> TurquoiseB wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > Or, for that matter, if you've got some idea who *you*
> > might have been in a previous incarnation, do tell.
> How do you know that it isn't genetic memory (if there is such a
thing)
> or a "past life" non genetic.  For instance if you somehow wound up
with
> talents your parents didn't have and believed that it came from a
past
> life and then discovered your great great grandfather also was a
master
> in that field it could be genetic.  Maybe we are able to remember
some
> of the experiences our ancestors had.  When teaching music I would
have
> an occasional student with extraordinary abilities when neither
parent
> were musically inclined.  At the time I had to credit that to
reincarnation.

> I may well have studied tantra in a past life as I seem to have
come
> into this one with some techniques that I didn't know were tantric
until
> I learned tantra.   And know at least to what I've been able to
> ascertain of my ancestors non of them learned tantra. :)
>
> There is also an interesting theory about reincarnation that when
one
> dies the atoms scatter and creatures when born pick up these atoms
and
> they are what are giving one the sensation of a "past life."

Your idea of genetic memory sounds logical to me, although I'm still
awed by the possibilities of reincarnation.  The human DNA structure
is complex and IMHO can contain strains of abilities acquired by
one's ancestors.

Given that humans have lived on this earth for millions of years, it
is safe to assume that all of us are related to one another in one
way or another.  For example, I've read on National Geographic a few
years ago about a well preserved mummy that was found in present day
China.  The mummy was not Asian and appeared to look like a Celtic
woman, with the acouterments similar to those found in Europe.

Nonetheless, I'm still fascinated by the idea of reincarnation,
especially from those who claim to be from another planet or
universe.  For instance, there is a story in Shrimad Bhagavatam of a
man who claimed to have been an exalted being from Ghandarva loka. He
said that he was punished by the prajapatis (executives of the
universe) to live a life of sudra in his next life because he enjoyed
the association of many beautiful women and sang the wrong tune
during the adoration (kirtan) of Vishnu.

Further, along this line of thought, I'm currently entertaining the
possibility that Atlantis, as Edgar Cayce had described it, might
have existed from another day of Brahma, which translates to millions
and millions of earth years.  This is the reason why we cannot find
any current evidence of a civilization that equaled those achieved by
the people of Atlantis.

This Atlantean civilization supposedly was more sophisticated than
the most developed countries currently on earth.  The Atlanteans had
flying machines and harnessed nuclear power.  Unfortunately, they
misused this power through wars and destroyed their own civilization
in the end.

Is this history being repeated again in the 21st century (CE)?