> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@> > > >
> > > Which is, of course, what theists call God:
> > > the infinite regress of Mystery. That's what
> > > generates their sense of wonder.
> >
> > Not commenting on your reply, but theism, brought to mind deism,
> > which was a view held by many founding fathers. As someone said,
> > deism was as close one could get to atheism in the 18th century
> > without great public censure.
> >
> > More interesting is all of the classes of "theism". Which one do
> > you (all list members) belong? Which variety are the views of
> > the TMO and/or other popular "schools" of thought?
> >
> >     * theism — roughly, the belief that gods or deities exist
> >     * atheism — roughly, an absence of belief in any gods or
> > deities, or a belief that gods or deities do not exist at all.
> >     * deism — the belief that a god or gods exists, but does not
> > interact with events at the scale of human beings
> >     * agnosticism — roughly, the belief that it is not possible to
> > know whether gods or deities exist, or the belief that one does not
> > know.
> >
> >     * Some classifications group atheism and agnosticism together
> > under the classification of nontheism — absence of clearly
> > identified belief in any deity.
> >
> > The main subcategories of theism are:
> >
> >     * polytheism — roughly, the belief that multiple gods or deities
> > exist
> >     * monotheism — roughly, the belief that only one god exists.
> >
> > This taxonomy is based on beliefs about the existence of god or
> > gods. Other taxonomies are possible. For example, a different
> > taxonomy is based on beliefs about the nature or characteristics
> > (rather than the existence) of God or the gods. Examples include:
> >
> >     * pantheism — roughly, the belief that God and the universe are
> > equivalent[2]
> >     * panentheism — roughly, the belief that the universe is part
> > of God
> >     * dystheism or maltheism — the belief that God is not, as is
> > often assumed, good, but is actually evil
> >
> > Other categories of belief include:
> >
> >     * Animism: The belief that everything is alive; that spirits
> > are in all things, or that all things have souls.
> >     * Monolatry: The belief that there may be more than one deity,
> > but only one should be worshipped.
> >     * Henotheism: The belief that there may be more than one deity,
> > but one is supreme.
> >     * Kathenotheism: The belief that there is more than one deity,
> > but only one deity at a time should be worshipped. Each is supreme
> > in turn.
>
> Way too Sherlockian for me, Holmes. You didn't have the
> decency to say which detective you are, and here you're
> trying to propose a new game that not nearly as much fun. :-)

Sorry, I missed your game in my quick scan. I saw you doing a Columbo
routine -- he is my guy -- the only detective I have "followed" -- so
game over. You win, you called Dibs. (About as valid as my calling
Dibs (or Curtis "accusing me of such" :)) on Maria S. What can I say.
I like womens tennis -- probably one of the only traits Shemp and I share.

But game is what I had in mind -- other than general interest, on the
material I posted. Could be a board  / parlor game (how quaint) -- or
simple PC game. "What Spiritual View do You Want to Wear Today?!"
Everyone draws three cards at random, and then has to describe their
"View of the Day".

I know. I have a REALLY exciting life if I think that game would be
kewl. C'est Moi! C'est la vie!

> I have no idea which of the neat little boxes you posit
> that you'd like to fit me into.

It never crossed my mind. Do you really think the world revolves
around you so much that each post is ABOUT you? :)

I am way too busy, collecting various boxes to overlay on each other
an look through THAT kaleidoscope.

>My view of the universe
> is that no god is necessary.

Good for you if that makes you happy.

> Every phenomenon I've ever
> encountered can be explained without a god being present.

Are you channeling Curtis?

> Therefore, using the principle of Occam's Razor, it is
> likely that no god is present.

Ah, but if world and life were that simple and sophmoric. (not that
you are, just that singular view.

(DF would have laughed you out of the room on that one.:) Or if he
didn't, I would have laughed him out of the room. If I could actually
get a laugh in edgewise.))

> But I don't have a firm
> belief one way or the other as to the existence or non-
> existence of a god; I just don't need one, and I don't
> really much care. What does that make me?  :-)

um, read the boxes -- you are well represented.

> That said, just for fun, I'll point out one neat little
> box that you forgot.

I didn't forget anything. I copied and pasted someone elses list (wiki)

> I once saw a lecture by Joseph Campbell in which he used
> a term I really liked. He coined the term to deal with the
> confusion in the Hindu and Vedic literature as to which
> gods run things. You read one book/verse and one god is
> the boss; then you read another book/verse and another
> god is the boss; and in the next book/verse yet another
> god is the boss.
>
> I think that the term he invented was "polypantheism,"
> meaning "a hierarchy in which there are many gods, all
> of whom are the boss." He cracked himself up saying it. :-)

Well, "Follow your Bliss!" I like "Mask with 1000 Faces." Sort of the
theme of Judy's Art post. From another angle. We need a similar
grapho-morpho-slide-cine-thing. All the gods and saints of all the
religions morphing together.

And / or, it then morphing into all the great blues artists. Thats a
Curtis add-on. but its fulfillment of the a sage of the 60s --
"prophets written on the subway walls" -- which was written, (and so
it be done), actually on a trainway fence -- "Clapton is God".
(Clapton being at the height of his Blues period then. Not the hip and
easy listening Eric we have today. Eric's career has indeed been a
strange brew. Often at the crossroads.)