--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> This (above) is a good capsule of what Maharishi's original
> intentions were, I feel, when he started teaching in the west.  Yoga
> is so empirical in nature and practice and most religions promulgate
> most, if not all, of the elements contained in the yamas and niyamas
> that Maharishi could have very reasonably felt that any individual
> following the tenets of their culture and religion while at the same
> time practicing TM would get the substance of Patanjali's 8 limbs.
> It was a nice and emminently practical scheme.

Thanks, and yes, I thought of that as well, but...and here's the but,
perhaps most TM'ers weren't Religious to begin with or relied on TM to
be their main source of Religious/spiritual guidance.

This was a big mistake, because for these people it became *Science in
lieu of Religion* and Science in lieu of Religion will always be weak
and ineffective compared to Science combined with Religion or Science
taught in the context of Religion like 'Religious Science'.

Without the foundation of Spirituality (which is Religion) it's like a
slow boat to China, you'll get there but it'll take a lot longer. You
can't be a sinner and a saint at the same time...just doesn't work
that way! Nice post!!