--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My experience, which may be quite different than others, with
> regard to questons, answers, and transparency in TM is-
>
> 1. Not much of direct answers to quesitions
>
> 2. Not much transparency, but rather confidentiality.
>
> The next experience is I felt this is how it is on the spiritual
> path. Now, since I am experiencing this is not the case, I enjoy
> it more. Could be many reasons why circular answers and lack of
> transparency.
>
> For example,
> Q. - Has enlightenment been reached?
> A. - Long, circular, and non comprehendable-
>
> Possible reasons why?  Enlightenment wasn't reached
>
> Over here, this is how the Q and A goes
>
> Q. - Has enlightenment been reached
> A. - Yes
>
> I never thought such simplicity was possible. This is why there
> is no confusion with the sadakas.

While I agree with you about some of the "answers"
one receives from some spiritual teachers, I should
point out that the situation you describe opens
other another question:

Q. - The answer you received may have been less
confusing, but was it true?

Someone says, "Yes." Cool.

But what if the person giving you this answer is
trying to mislead people, for his or her own financial
gain, trying to get them to "sign on" as his/her students
and contribute to his/her bank account?

What if the person giving you this answer firmly believes
that he/she is enlightened, but is mistaken?

See where I'm going with this?

"Less confusing" is good, if what you want out of life
is simple answers to simple questions. But with regard
to enlightenment, are things really that simple? The
tales of spiritual practice are *full* of stories, both
old and modern, of teachers misleading their students,
and of teachers misleading *themselves*, and assuming
that they had realized their full enlightenment when
they had only glimpsed a tiny part of it. What if the
person who believes he or she is enlightened is right
about it at the moment, but after a few weeks or months
or years the enlightenment "fades" and is no longer
present? That's happened to dozens of people I know,
some of whom set themselves up in business *as*
enlightened spiritual teachers while the experience
was still present, and now have to cope with it *not*
being present.

So we're back to the first question I ever asked you,
Ron. What are the criteria that you use when someone
tells you that they're enlightened, and you choose to
*believe* them?

*Other than* the desire for a simple answer to a simple
question, and the desire to be "less confused," what is
it that makes you assume that the person who just gave
you the simple answer gave you a *truthful* answer?

I think if you ponder this you'll come back with "faith."

Which, in my book, can be a noble and wonderful thing,
but can *also* be just one more way to be confused.