> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@>
> wrote:

> > > That's been my experience as well, but here's a serious
> > > question I've wrestled with and haven't resolved yet:
> > > Is it really *selfless* service if you do it because it
> > > makes you happier?
> > >
> > > Not that service *shouldn't* make one happier--but if
> > > that's *why* one is doing the service, I think perhaps
> > > one shouldn't ennoble it with the adjective "selfless."
> >

> > Does the recipient care if the act makes you happy? At first glance,
> > or course not -- the service is enjoyed by them, independent of your
> > state.
> >
> > At second glance, if you were homebound and a meals-on-wheels
> volunteer
> > came to your house with a cooked meal, would you prefer them to be
> > full of sacrifice, resentment (at having to do this seva shit),
> > self-righteous,  and frustrated? Or would you prefer someone who
> > really  got a kick out of doing this gig, was enthusiastic, bubbling
> > over with good cheer -- and even a bit of warm silliness?
> >
> > Why does "selflessness" ennoble service? If anything, it seems to
> take
> > the heart out of it. Skewers it through the heart.
> >
> > If there is an anthropomorphic god, do you think she/he is going --
> > "ah good one my son/daughter -- you were totally miserable while
> doing
> > that service. You are a true reflection of my image -- an angry
> > frustrated bastard / bitch --  you really get my teaching!"
>
> I'm not sure I made my point clear, given your
> response. What exactly did you think I was
> advocating with regard to doing service?

First, I like your response above. You politely, perhaps even humbly
put the onus on your self for not being clear. And you didn't
criticize my response, or me, you simply pointed out there was a
disconnect somewhere, non fault non-communication. A good model for
responding, IMO.

advocating -- rather suggesting that one shouldn't ennoble "joyful
service" [my term], or mix it up with,  with "selfless" service.

However implied in your post seemed to me to be certain assumptions,
and its those I was questioning. For my self. It was not a criticism
of any assumption whether yours or societies.

And I was questioning similar  assumptions in posts earlier this
morning. So my response was a continuation of a prior train of
thought, a further clarification for me, and less a direct response to
your specific question. [a practice that may seem impolite to some.
Not to me. I mean no disrespect by not directly responding to a
persons point. And I feel fine, contributing something from perhaps a
different angle. YMMV. But I should be clearer that I am on a tangent.]

The assumptions or implication that I was questioning -- and I sse
them as social assumptions, part of a meme -- if thats a proper use of
the term -- is that service should be selfless. Clearly you
distinguished that service can make one happy -- so I was not confused
that you might be saying otherwise.

However, a possible reflection of a social meme i found in your post
was the perhaps implict assumption that selfless service is more noble
than happy service. Its that social meme I was questioning.

But, I see where my post  could have been clearer in what I was
addressing. I know that when people go off on their own tangents when
addressing my posts I sometimes go "huh?!" Sorry if my non-selfless,
but joyful pondering inadvertently invoked that response in you.  Its
a lesson in better writing that I will try to remember.