Nice, I didn't know that you wrote your own VST architecture Albert, that's
great! Sorry if my replies were confusing, but I was traveling during the
last couple of days and I'm catching up with my e-mails. Happy new year to
you all!

Cheers,

Romain

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 10:54 PM, Albert Graef <aggr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Nycholas Maia <nyckm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How can I know if Sibelius/Finale will send me a MIDI message for *this
>> type of music information?*
>>

> There are special VST MIDI plugins which let you see all MIDI that passes
> though them. Like ctrlr (http://ctrlr.org/), which is open-source and
> cross-platform. ctrlr can be a bit daunting at first, since its primary
> purpose is to create VST panels for hardware synths and expose their MIDI
> controls as automatable parameters to VST hosts. But you can just insert it
> into your MIDI track and open its MIDI log to see what exactly goes into
> the plugin. I'm not sure whether Sibelius or Finale can handle a pure MIDI
> plugin like ctrlr, though.
>
> But the easiest solution probably is, as Stephen suggested, to see whether
> Sibelius can output MIDI to a MIDI device and monitor the output with a
> program like MidiMonitor (http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/). Another
> useful utility is the MIDI Patchbay (http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/).
> Also set up a few virtual MIDI devices (look for the IAC devices in your
> Mac's Audio and MIDI setup). Together these will give you roughly the same
> facilities as qjackctl on Linux or MidiOx on Windows. I find these
> indispensable when working with MIDI on the Mac.
>
> In any case, you really need to familiarize yourself with MIDI first. :) I
> recommend reading through Jeff Glatt's MIDI pages mirrored at
> http://www.blitter.com/~russtopia/MIDI/~jglatt/.
>
> --
> Dr. Albert Gr"af
> Computer Music Research Group, JGU Mainz, Germany
> Email:  aggr...@gmail.com
> WWW:    https://plus.google.com/+AlbertGraef

Romain Michon
(+1)(650)646-8917http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~rmichon