On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 11:45 PM, Vincent G. Listes <infopap...@yahoo.com.sg>
wrote:

> I feel that what mess up this strategy is the tendency to tie a voice
> allocation to a pitch, which use to make sense when music was played with
> keyboards (sarcasm intended) as there is no two key with the same pitch,
> but is absurd otherwise and really unconvenient in many cases.

Well, there's a way to deal with that in standard MIDI, just put every note
on its own MIDI channel. Of course this doesn't help if the instrument is
capable of generating the same pitch more than 16 times.

But as long as you can do with 16 MIDI channels, faust-lv2/vst should work
fine for that. While the architecture might be geared more towards the
simpler use cases, it certainly does *not* do your run-of-the-mill
simplistic voice allocation just on pitches. It handles multi-channel MIDI
data all right and *will* keep apart notes and CCs on different MIDI
channels. Right now there's no way to tie a MIDI channel to a given voice,
and so there's no way to retain the channel-specific CC data past the
note-off, which might be needed for more complex instrument models. But
that shouldn't be too hard to add, because all the needed multitimbrality
logic is there already.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af