Hi Christoph,

I did indeed some experiments in OpenCL and CUDA code generation like 4 or 5
years ago. The code is stil there in the compiler (using the ‘experimental -ocl
 or -cuda command line parameters), with the C++ code in :
https://github.com/grame-cncm/faust/tree/master-dev/compiler/generator/cpp

At that time the result was not result satisfactory for several reasons:

1) GPU computation is not really adapted to the need of general audio
algorithms, but more for highly « data parallel » needs (likes images). In
audio code, as soon as your code is doing recursions, GPU are quite inefficient
and not used the way they like

2) the code generation strategy was very naive, so probably even under-using
what could be theoretically achieved

3) GPU/CPU memory transfer suffers from high latency, so is not adapted to
real-time computation with small buffer sizes

I read later on that the Csound guys did some experiment, see here about the
CUDA thing:  http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/PrefaceWhatsNew.html. Victor
Lazzarini on this list can probably develop here.

So my conclusion is that OpenCL/CUDA *could* be interesting again assuming 1) a
subset of audio algorithms only would be compiled, 2) the Faust compiler
possibly need some new primitives (vector, matrix..) more adapted to GPU
processing, and code generation would have two be improved, 3) the latency
issues would have to be revisited with more recent and powerful cards.

Stéphane