Hello!

El dom, 08-12-2002 a las 00:34, Day Brown escribió:
[...problems with all kind of Linux Distribution...]

> But of course, people who dont have trouble, dont post here.

I use Debian Gnu/Linux to avoid or resolve all kind of trouble I and my
customers have with computers.  So I'm obviously knowledge biased with
respect to the situation of somebody new to Linux installations, as by
now I got a lot of working experience which helps me out in case of
trouble.

However it is not accidential that Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.org/) and
LinEx (http://www.linex.org/, all in spanish, sorry for the Arkies ;^)
are completely based on the Debian Distribution and packaging/upgrade
system.

Both are absolutely easy to install and use and do a very great work
with hardware auto-recognition and auto-configuration.

> and running despite CD file read errors. I think I recall one of the
> Linux distros mentioning that faulty archives would be logged, and then
> the correct ones downloaded later. Which wouldda been nice for MANDRAKE,
> but it didnt get installed far enuf to get online.

Yes, that is what Debian does.  You can even install from a set of about
seven floppies and then go on with downloading the whole system over a
dial-up line. (Nave never done this though).

If a file does not get downloaded completely, you give it another shot
and it takes of where it was left.

> In general, I dont see the error recovery option vaible in Linux,
> whereas it is always duck soup to use a boot floppy in FREEDOS, and once
> you have an operating system on the screen, try to figure out what the
> problem is. In general, what I have seen in many Linux install scripts,
> is that the only user option is to abort, and discard the wasted hour(s).

Maybe its a lack of familiarity, because I am always _much_ more
knowledgable about what's going on with a Linux system then with a DOS
System.  It does not just get stuck, you always can open other terms, or
see some log's about what is happening by pressing Alt+F2, Alt+F3, etc.
The kernel is very verbose about everything whats going on inside
(dmesg), and about what hardware was recognised (cat /proc/pci, etc.).

Usually I carry around a Linux Kernel floppy or CD, to diagnose which
hardware is in a computer, and to realize maintainance and recovery
tasks.  (Wow! _how_ offtopic one can get!)

> But in any case, I am being confronted with the choice of which distro
> to put on new and used computers in the area, and I'd rather not get
> calls for 'support' if I can help it. Having all the bells and whistles
> takes a back seat, cause most of these Arkie users dont have that much
> experience to know how to use them anyway.

Maybe you'd be really good off with your own Knoppix-remastering.

> But if Microsoft is true to it's reputation, it is deliberately trying
> to sabotage the non-win system logon process. I know of two Mac users
> who now have win NT/XP machines. And if this be so, then all of us
> dos/linux users will be confronted with ppp drivers that dont work. How

And with setting up your own comunity ISP based on Linux ;-)

No.  Seriously, ppp is quite a standard protocoll and maybe what is
breaking things are more likely changing login procedures.

Best Regards,

        Jorge-León