From: Mrs. Kulak
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 12:55 PM
Subject: New To This

I have just found out that my two kittens are positive for feline leukemia. I adopted a kitten from an animal shelter in Wisconsin that originally tested negative. But since then he has become positive and has infected one of my older cats, who in the meantime has become quite sick. It is devastating to me. BUT, I am trying to remain optimistic. Therefore, I am trying to find out all I can.

First of all, I have three other cats, all of which tested negative. I have to keep them separated now from my two "sick" ones. Even though the little kitten I adopted in November has the virus, he acts totally normal. The older kitten which is actually a year old now, is sick. I've been giving the older one 3cc of Retrovir in the morning and in the evening. I don't know what the side effects are to cats. I only received the side effects for humans when I picked up the medicine at the pharmacy. Is there any place you can recommend to me to find out more about the side effects to cats? The side effects to humans don't look so good, so I'm a bit worried about this medicine.

Second, as I have stated, I have to keep my cats all separated. This is EXTREMELY hard. We were one big happy family. All of my cats got along, cuddled, took care of the little ones, played together, cleaned each other, and now I've had to tear up the family. The older ones in the basement are wondering what's going on. I go down there to sit with them and they just stare at me. It's kind of creepy. But they do thrive on the attention once we get past the awkward moment. The kittens I keep upstairs so that I can monitor them. The littlest one is constantly crying at the door that separates them all. I've even caught the older one clawing at the door today. It's really hard. Therefore, I was wondering, if after the incubation period is over and the other older cats get retested and if they still prove to be negative, then get their shots, could I put the family back together again? Or is it better for me to find a new home for the ill cats? I will die if I have to lose them. They are my babies. This will be the third and fourth kittens I have lost in three years. But I need to do what's best. I'd rather take care of the ill kittens myself than have the cost burden and the stress go to someone else. I know I have a home for the three older cats providing they stay negative. I just really want to try to keep the family together. So, how effective are the shots?

Third and final, the animal shelter that I received the kitten from is trying to deny that it was their kitten. In a sense, they told me that my vet tested incorrectly. Now I know that the shelter is trying to do a good thing, but I feel they have a responsibility to tell the other people who have adopted kittens or cats from the same group and time period. They aren't listening to me. I've researched about the incubation period and that maybe they should have held onto all the cats and kittens for a few more weeks because it could sit dormant. They kept insisting that the kitten tested negative; and I told them I know that, but..." We got no where. Now what do I do? All my other cats have been tested twice a year for everything. (I take them to the vet for even the slightest sniffle - I'm a little protective). I need to know what do I do to get them to contact the other people. I'm concerned that there are more Feline Leukemia cats out there, more than that, I am sure of it and I think those people have a right to know. So, what do I do? I was thinking about taking out a full page ad in the Milwaukee Journal or contacting the Better Business Bureau. I need to do something.

Sorry I took so much time, but I have many issues and/or concerns. I don't know what to do. I've been reading a lot on the internet, but I can't find the answer to these few things. I appreciate any help/advice you could give me. Thank you.

Kristina