tamara, i'm so glad you were able to respond so well! i know that for me, when someone says something so stupid or insensitive--especially if it's at a particularly painful moment!--i just freeze and don't think of an appropriate response for hours!

sometimes when i get the, "it's only a cat/dog/horse/etc" line about either grieving or even just in terms of rescue/volunteering, i'll point out simple things like all coming from the same source; every creature having a place in the whole; caring for the least of them; and my favorite, um, which living things were theoretically created first, and which were an afterthought, created as caretakers....

in terms of these little ones you're trying to save and rehome, every state has a yahoogroup dedicated to rescue-type work: marylandanimalrescue, delawareanimalrescue, etc..... from there you ought to be able to access other groups who can help. also, have you contacted alleycat.org (alleycatallies) to see if they have any suggestions? or snapus.org (spay neuter assistance program) for help with that?