Tonya,
    The only way something like this would go to the federal level, probably, is if every level of a state court upheld the law and it was appealed to the U.S. Supreme court on federal constitutional grounds.  It would be possible to sue a city in federal court to begin with on federal constitutional grounds, but for various reasons legally that would probably not be the way to go-- state court is. And in Hideyo's case, where she is appealing a municpal court decision under a state law that allows such appeals to go to state court, it would be very complicated and not recommended to go to federal court.

    As for ALDF, they only have one or two lawyers at this point, in CA, and they are deep into other cases.  The network they have of member attorneys (like me) is simply that, a network.  They apparently do not even refer members of the public to attorneys in their network, because that is not what people sign up for when they sign up as members-- they just sign up to get updates and be part of the organization, not have their info given out to members of the public with particular cases. ALDF was willing to give me two names because I am actually an attorney member, and I called them but one was retired and the other was not working in the same place anymore. The attorney I found for Hideyo is an ALDF member, but for some reason ALDF did not even give me her name and number, I got it from Alley Cat Allies. And I would bet for sure that she is the only ALDF attorney member in Albuquerque-- she does not know of any others.  She did offer to make a few calls for Hideyo for free, but because she is trying to make a living doing exclusively animal law (which is great! and rare!), she does need to charge her clients or she will not be able to make a living and will have to go back to doing another kind of law for pay. And every animal law related client is going to be someone who we would think should get pro bono services-- a rescuer, a shelter, a person with an animal in a bad situation, etc.  If she did them all for free she could not do this work as her main job. Plus she spends a lot of time, on her own without pay, trying to get a TNR ordinance passed in Albuquerque, so she really does need to do paid work the rest of the time. So I totally understand why she can not do it pro bono. I would bet she will not charge Hideyo as much as a run of the mill lawyer would, though-- we will have to see what they work out.

   Hope that helps explain the situation,

Michelle