Hi Cindy,
I have been going thru this with Bandy since last June when he was first diagnosed with a kidney infection..He would repsond to antibiotics then the fever would come back...We would do more meds then same over again and again...So we finally tested him and he was positive for FIV and Felv...We started the interferon in July, and he has been on it daily ever since with no adverse reactions to it..they gave me syringes frozen with interferon so I thaw 1 out a day and add 1/2 cc liqui tinic(pet tinic). He had anemia so we gave him procrit (epogen) injections for 5 to 6 wks..good results on that..
Anyway, with the fever all they keep telling me is that it is due to inflammation from the viruses..I still don't understand it..the only thing that will bring it down is dexamethasone..Ask your vet to give you some dex in pill form to use at home when the temp rises...I use  1/2 of a .75mg. pill when Bandy has a temp..It is the only thing that you can really use in a kitty.. even baby aspirin isn't really safe.. I also have used oxazepam transdermal for appetite stimulant...He finally eats some now when he has a temp. without the stimulant as I think he is just use to it..When I give him the dex, the temp will be back in the normal range within 6 hrs...it drops as quick as it goes up..I think his highest was 106.2..I watched him suffer for 5 days with over 105 back last Sept during Labor day weekend cause I couldn't get in touch with his vet..so I had some dex and just gave it to him...He responded well so the next week I told his vet and she wrote us a prescription..I still have about 9 pills out of 30 from last Sept..so I haven't really given him that many in my opinion and am not going to worry about the chance of him becoming a diabetic..his quality of life is much better now...He also gained from 5 lbs 8 oz. to almost 8 lbs now..
The knowledge of this group is amazing, and they have helped us tremendously..
I do hope you get some results for your Smokey..Feel free to email me...Bandy's history is quite a long one, and we have tried just about everything..I get as many supplements in him as I can.
Keep us posted,
Kerry, Bandy, Buster and Lil Rascal