Lisa,
   I would not give him flea medication while he is sick, unless he is clearly infested. Interferon, while possibly prophylactic, has never, to my knowledge, helped a cat get over anemia or anything serious like that.  Immuno-Regulin maybe, but not interferon. It has done more for mouth problems and maybe preventing colds.  Blood transfusions can help a lot while you are figuring out what is wrong and how, or if, to treat it. My cat Simon got 3 transfusions while chemo was kicking in, and his blood count then rose to normal (he died 2 months later from hemolytic anemia, which is fast and an immune reponse to cancer sometimes).  Others have had success with transfusions too.  A transfusion takes about 4 hours, and it is the same amount of discomfort as getting IV fluids, i.e. not a big deal.  Blood transfusions are usually only done if the hematocrit is down in the low teens or lower, though. I would definitely get the blood work done to see, whether or not you get the other tests done.

michelle