I chose to not spay my Moogie (FELV+). I think many of us choose to not put these guys under unnecessary surgeries (though sometimes it is something you just can't live with for male cats, they do tend to reek). BUT, my girl was an indoors ONLY cat, with no intact males in the house, so there was NO chance of her getting pregnant. That being said, I have at least 3 FIV+ male cats that were all neutered and are fine today (I say at least, because I'm not sure at this point who's FIV+ and who's FIV-). I did have one female feral die after her spay (2 weeks after surgery), but she was FIV/FELV negative. She had a nasty infection of her incision, and I didn't know until she lay dead in the storage room. She always hid when I was near, so I had no way to know. Poor girl. I'm so sorry you lost your boy, some things just can't be helped though, and blaming yourself wont change anything, it will only bring you down. Try to keep a positive perspective. You tried to help this cat, you did everything you could to rescue him, and make his life better. He died, but that doesn't change the fact that YOU did all the great things you did for him. How many others in the past have you had spayed/neutered and that have gone on to live wonderful lives because of your efforts? I bet if you do the math, you have a WONDERFUL success rate! We absolutely must prevent new litters from being born, spay/neuter is something we HAVE to do, and it saves MILLIONS of lives! Occasionally, we may lose one or two to the surgery, but there are oh so many we saved from fates much worse than death. So many animals suffer every day, starving, neglected, abused, scared, lost. We can't save them all, but we can prevent it from happening to a new generation of cats, by preventing new litters! ALL of my current cats are spayed/neutered, even Bones, my broken back girl (you may recall my worries about her spay surgery, but she did fine). Would I do it again? You bet I would! And do I put my money where my mouth is? YEP! I do! I had MYSELF spayed over 5 years ago! ;-)

Phaewryn

PLEASE Adopt a cat from Little Cheetah Cat Rescue!!!
http://ucat.us/adopt.html

DONATE: We could really use a power saw (for construction), a digital camera (for pictures) and HOMES for CATS!
Checked by AVG Free Edition.