I think that one of the websites my mom sent me mentioned silica being bad also.  I can see if I can find it. You can probably find info on it by doing a search on cat litter and silica.

Michelle

I use clumping litter, so I appreciate your posting this to the list.  The brand of clumping litter I get at Costco is LitterPurrfect.  It doesn't contain sodium bentonite, but it does have silica gel.  Do you know if this is dangerous as well?  The box still warns against flushing the litter, so it makes me wonder.  It says it's 99% dust free, so that should help with the inhalant risks.  I did a quick search and this is what I found on the Arm & Hammer website about their litter, (couldn't find a website for LitterPurrfect).  I'm always skeptical of any manufacturer's claims of safety etc.  What do you think?