Nina, Patches actually doesn't itch.  It's anxiety, a compulsive habit, rather than due to itching. The benadryl is given in a very small dose, transdermally in her ears, as an anti-anxiety drug rather than as an antihistimine. She sometimes licks anyway (I haven't seen her do it in a long time, but looking at her right now I see that the hair on her belly is shorter than elsewhere), but it makes a huge difference.  Her anxiety predates Lucy-- she was anxious when she came to me. She had a huge scar on her cheek (now covered with fur), some broken teeth, and other signs of having been attacked or abused.  She used to attack me whenever I made a loud noise like yelling at Simon when he did something particularly naughty.  The benadryl calms her in general, though she does not seem tranquilized or anything. Has actually started playing recently, for the first time.  Poor baby. She had a bad childhood on the street.  But a little benadryl has worked better for her than 30 years of therapy does for some humans! :)

Michelle