I doubt the trees themselves, or the bark, is a problem. In fact, maritime pine bark extract is a health supplement, renowned for its antioxidant effects, and i gave it to my dog Fern when she had cancer and she did really well on it.  I think it is the pine oil that is the problem, which is on the inside of the tree and just comes out when they process the wood. Cedar is the same.
Michelle