The thing I like about the s/o Royal Canin food is that it is a pH NORMALIZER - the s/d is given short term to dissolve the struvite crystals and it LOWERS the pH.  I don't remember which food raises the pH to dissolve the oxalate crystals, but those haven't been a problem for us.  Smoky has developed interstitial cystitis over the last couple years and occasionally there will also be struvite crystals.  He is very sensitive to change in food (basically, if it's not the s/o, he's in trouble) and can get almost no other treats or food in order to keep his pH stable.  The extra great thing about the fact that s/o is a pH normalizer, is that Bandit can eat it too.

cindy reasoner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My cat Winston has had the same problem. The last
time being last October which was a very bad one.
They put him on Hills X/D at first and then changed
him to S/D. He has gained so much weight and I wonder
if it is the food. Then I have read on here that
Hills isn't that good of a food and I worry if he is
getting all the nutrients he needs. So, I am like you
about is there any other food that he could eat. He
eats this food really good though.

Cindy Reasoner