Hi Kayte!

I do alot of the teeth cleanings at my clinic, so I can tell you how
we do them and what to ask your vet if that will help!

A regular dental does involve your pet being sedated and
intubated...ask your vet what type of anesthetic will be used (we use
isofluorane--an inhalant anesthetic that is considered very safe as it
is not metabolized by the body and allows a fast recovery).  As for
the dental itself, depending on the condition of the teeth (amount of
tartar, etc.), the length of time it takes for a full cleaning is
about 1/2 hour...We use an ultrasonic "water pick" similar to what
human dentists use to scale the teeth, then polish (again, like human
dentists do) and apply fluoride!  Depending on your clinic, there may
be a dental technician who does the cleaning with the vet standing by
to perform any extractions, or the vet may do the cleaning herself!

As for other questions you may want to ask...I'm not sure how old
Crackers is, but if he is older, be sure to ask whether or not the
clinic has a heating device to keep his body temp regulated while
sedated.  Body temps drop when sedated which can drop blood pressure
and make the recovery process much longer...especially in older pets!
You may also want to ask about fluid therapy while sedated and even
during the recovery process (I.V. drip)...it's not a necessary thing,
but can aid in a smooth recovery process!

Overall, a dental is a safe procedure!  Just get all the assurances on
the sedation process (we typically pre-med with atropine and some type
of pain management med...as a sidenote for DOG owners, beware of the
use of ketoprofen as a pain med for DOGS!!  It's rare, but severe
ulcering of the GI tract can occur)!

Hope this helps!

Jen

"But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be
unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world;
You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed..." --Antoine
de Saint-Exupéry

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know
each other.  If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and
what you do not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys." --
Chief Dan George

"The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." --Blade
Runner