We all know what a tough call this is.  When I know in my heart that they are passing, when I know that holding on is for me, then I help them cross.  It's the last gift of love we can give them.  If you call a house call vet, make sure and tell them that you want them to bring a pre-sedative, they don't all use one.  We're never ready Terrie, I'm so sorry.

I just wanted to add, that I don't believe all animals need to experience "the full cycle" as Belinda puts it.  It might be so with your Dukee, but he's had time to adjust to crossing and prolonging it might not be what he wants or needs.  I too believe in AC, (as you all know).  When my beloved Princess Grace's time was near I had an AC tell me that she was annoyed that I was waiting to help her cross.  She was anxious to leave her failing body and she said she had "things to do" on the other side.
My heart is with you,
Nina