Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: Vet Records/Morbid question

That's sad, a Science Diet box.... I now cremate, but before I moved up north (where you can't dig graves 7 months of the year due to frozen ground), I'd had a cat that had been euthanised. The vet I used had special cardboard "coffins". They even lined them with baby blankets (I now donate all baby blankets to vets in order for them to provide this to others, because it was such a comfort to me). They were special made boxes JUST for returning cats to owners who wished to take them home to be buried. There was NO tape, and the cat looked for all the world like he were sleeping peacefully. My cremains also come in a plastic "urn", NOT in a box or baggie. I can't even fathom the horrible bedside manner of a vet that would even consider throwing the remains of someone's pet into a old, left-over box from that day's UPS delivery. I never knew any vet did that, I guess I have been very lucky to have very compassionate and caring vets!

Come to think of it, what a great cause we could work towards... if we all made arrangements with our local vets to knit or crochet "baby" blankets for the specific use of giving to pet owners who had a cat euthanised or die at their clinics. I know I have a long winter coming and could use a hobby. I can't even communicate how much difference the simple gesture of putting a baby blanket in my baby's coffin when they brought his body out to me meant.... it was very special.

Phaewryn

Please adopt a cat from Little Cheetah Cat Rescue!!! http://ucat.us/adopt.html
Low cost Spay&Neuter services in VT, and Emergency Financial Assistance for cat owners:
http://ucat.us/VermontLowCost.html
Special Needs Cat Resources: http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
The Sofa Poem: http://ucat.us/sofapoem.html
Find us on PETFINDER! http://petfinder.com/shelters/VT44.html