actually, I think I meant to ask if I am horrible if I don't euthanise  her,
not if I do.  She is clearly suffering to some extent. Every once in a  while
she seems to need air, meows and breathes with her mouth open, and if we  open
a door or window to the cold air she settles down. I gave her another dex
shot (last one over 24 hours ago), and she started purring a little and walked
 little better.  Earlier today we realized she had dried diarrhea caked all
over her behind, as if she had sat down in it during the night.  I washed  it
off, which took a long time, and she purred very loudly during the whole
thing and put her butt up in the air for me to wash and dry it. It was
heartbreaking and cute at the same time. I am thinking of asking the vet to
come  over
tomorrow. My heart is against it, but my mind says she is going through
something that she does not have to.  I decide it, and then after looking
miserable
for 30 minutes, she looks at me and starts purring, or checks out a  food
bowl and eats about a spoonful of baby food. And I think no, wait until she  is
in more distress than this.

I have injectable valium in the fridge, given to me almost two years ago. I
was thinking that if she goes into distress I can give her that and then call
the vet. I looked it up online, though, and it said that IM valium can be
painful, and that in a small number of cats it has the opposite than wanted
effect, ie makes them hyperexcitable. She had hyperexcitability when she came
out of anesthesia from having her bladder stone removed, so I worry about that.

I also have telazol that was given to me for Simon-- I gave him half  the
shot to knock him out when he went into distress and he went to sleep and
later
died in his sleep. I kept the rest of the shot. The needle is not clean,
obviously, but I guess at that point it would not matter. It is also two years
old. In fact, he died two years ago tomorrow. How strange is that? All of my
positives have died between the dates 12/31 and 2/22-- less than a 2 month span

in deep winter. It seems like it must not just be coincidental, but like
winter  knocks their immune systems, even though they are inside.

so I have been thinking we can just stay with her until she goes into
distress, tranquilize her then and call the vet. But is it fair and right? Is
episodic extreme weakness and open mouthed breathing, if it lasts only a few
minutes, acceptable to live through if a half hour later she can eat a little
food
and purr? What about having crusted diarrhea on her, if she then likes
having it cleaned off?

She seemed in good health 3 weeks ago. I can not believe how fast her
decline has been.

I don't know if any of you remember, but in late December I emailed saying
that she seemed to be gaining weight but only in her belly, and that I thought
it might be fluid and could she have fip. Everyone said no, because she was
not  sick otherwise.  But I think it must have started then, oddly enough, and
she just did not show symptoms for another 3-4 weeks. I think now i should
have  taken her somewhere, that if the fluid had been found then, and maybe her

anemia, I could have started her on feline interferon and epogen and maybe
they  actually would have worked. I started them too late.  And then I think
that  none of the success stories I have read about with feline interferon and
fip  concern and felv+ cat, and at least we had a few weeks thinking things
were
ok,  and not forcing meds on her. I don't know.  So painful.

Michelle

In a message dated 2/4/2007 3:06:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,