Ummm, would you and your volunteers like to come give me a hand at MY place?
I'll accept!

tamara stickler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:    MC wrote: "so if we see good
people getting in over their heads, or in temporary
trouble (sickness, having surgery, loss of volunteers or fosters), we
really need to help them out--in the end, it benefits everyone. it's
when people refuse to acknowledge or accept help that bells need to go
off. i'm not talking about folks who just don't want to burden others,
but those who flat-out refuse any assistance, insisting they can do it
themselves when clearly they cannot..."

  I agree.  That's what scared me about the woman who originally agreed to take
Simms.  After seeing her place, I called her back and told her I had five
volunteers lined up who had agreed to come help her finish insulating the
garage where she kept the felv+ cats, build new cat trees and levels for them
and her healthy foster cats and even help her husband build the larger shed he
told me he wanted to build for the healthy foster cats that she had.  I told
her all her hubby had to do was get us a list of the materials he needed, give
us a weekend or two when it would be good for them, and we'd be there.

  She declined.  "Oh no, we are perfectly capable of handling this on our own,
thank you.  We don't need any assistance."  (This from the woman who was
telling me a week earlier that she could really use some help.)  Her husband
talked to me when I went back to pick up Simms to place him with Anne and told
me he really appreciated my offer to help, and wishes his wife would have
accepted...but, she is just so driven...she can't help herself and its all I
can do to keep up.  I really wish she'd cut back, but she'll do what she wants
to.

  ...every time I see a news report about an animal collector whose been
busted...I think it must be her...but not yet.  Perhaps she did accept
SOMEONE'S offer to help.

TenHouseCats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  well said.

what's really sad is that, with the in-fighting that goes on, people
are sometimes afraid to ask for help when they need it. or if they DO
ask for it, it's either used against them, or they don't receive it.

it IS hard to learn to know your own limits, to say 'no,' especially
when we do know what the alternative is, especially for the FIVs and
FeLVs. but if we burnt out, and don't care of ourselves, we ultimately
end up not being able to take care of ANY of them....

so if we see good people getting in over their heads, or in temporary
trouble (sickness, having surgery, loss of volunteers or fosters), we
really need to help them out--in the end, it benefits everyone. it's
when people refuse to acknowledge or accept help that bells need to go
off. i'm not talking about folks who just don't want to burden others,
but those who flat-out refuse any assistance, insisting they can do it
themselves when clearly they cannot...

the only way this works is if we work together.

MC